asandwich

asandwich

From a Buick 8

From a Buick 8 - Stephen King There was something eerily familiar about the description of the Buick Roadmaster in this book that, at first, I just couldn't quite put my finger on. I just knew I'd read something about classic American cars that looked almost-but-not-quite-the-real-deal in a King book before.

Then it hit me: Can-Toi.

It took me some time to scour back through my copies of The Dark Tower novels to find what I was looking for and jog my memory - and I'm really not into spoiling anything for anyone, so I'm going to be deliberately vague about this - but when I did find what I was looking for, it was easy to connect the events of this novel with King's wider fictional universe.

Pennsylvania State Troopers play unwitting custodians to a Can-Toi portal (the Buick) which appears to be either connected to the Luddite Wastelend - or worse - the Todash. Eep.

This was an enjoyable read for what it was - though I do think the same story could probably have been told in half the pages. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.